Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Money

Dickens has characterized Doctor Mannet in a way of humbleness, intelligence and loyalty. He sticks by his principals, but not in a way the reader might disagree or repulsed by. He also shows visible strain when confronted by a force which is displeasing to him. One of his worse reactions was when Charles Darnay revealed his true identity.  We've seen his good intentions and loyalty through book three and how he is helping the child of a person who destroyed him get out of jail with his life. One scene stands out, however, which could possibly show both his humbleness or his distaste to something. Starting on the bottom of page 341, There is an awkward exchange of money from the noble brothers to the Doctor. "'He had before offered me money, which I had postponed taking. He now gave me a rouleau of gold. I took it from his hand, but laid it on the table. I had considered the question, and had resolved to accept nothing.'... 'Early in the morning, the rouleau of gold was left at my door in a little box, with my name on the outside.'"(341-342).

Doctor Mannet displays very little emotion in this chapter, leaving it up to us, the reader, to interpret whether his action in refusing to accept the gold was his modesty, or his disgust at the nobility. The description of the atrocities that were committed there would lead me to believe that it was complete disgust. If I were in his shoes, having to aid two pompous, and help a person they raped and another they stabbed, then I would be blindingly angry. If it weren't for the Hippocratic Oath, I would have been out of there like it was about to blow. His modesty and clear-head also comes into play, though. Mentioned in the chapter "Calm in the storm", "Among these terrors, and the brood belongings to them, the Doctor walked with a steady head: confident in his power, cautiously persistent in his end, never doubting that he would save Lucie's husband at last."(284) This shows him bearing through executions and nursing all kinds of diseases and ailments back to full health. Never  does it say that he asks for payment though. People refer to him as "The Good Physician", so if he has any charge, it is affordable for the average citizen. I, personally would side with notion that the doctor doesn't accept blood-money as the reason for the turn-down of the gold. I would feel guilty receiving money for treating, and not telling. A question did arise at the end of reading this. Did the Marquis give this money as a bribe to remain silent or as a genuine payment for such serious conditions?

A strange part to me about this chapter is that it doesn't reveal many emotions relating to the Doctor. This makes me feel like a fabrications if it is lacking any sort of emotions relating to such a starkly emotional and disgusting scene.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I agree with you. The biggest thing I feel about Dr. Manette is that he is not realistic. If the letter Defarge read at the court is real, it is also true that in order to reveal the guilt of Marquis Dr. Manette doesn't even care about his own safety. I think normally people would not take such huge risk to help someone who just has nothing to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting to me how humble Dr. M is. Even in this anecdote about the despicable Marquis, he doesn't go out of his way to position himself as being morally superior -- he just humbly tries to do his job.

    And I think the gold was definitely intended to be a payoff, by the way. Great post.

    ReplyDelete